Changes in Administrative Entities of Park at Site of Akashi Castle in the Modern Era and Their Backgrounds

Bibliographic Information

Other Title
  • 近代の明石城址における公園管理主体の変遷とその背景
  • キンダイ ノ アカシジョウシ ニ オケル コウエン カンリ シュタイ ノ ヘンセン ト ソノ ハイケイ

Search this article

Abstract

<p>This study examines the changes in administrative entities of Akashi Castle park and their background. Early in the Meiji era (1868–1912) a request to turn the site into a park was made by a British man, and the castle buildings were partially demolished. In 1881 local volunteers submitted and received approval to turn the site into a park to preserve the remaining castle buildings. They formed an organization to maintain the park in 1889. Akashi gun (county), believing private administration inappropriate, assumed administrative responsibility of the park in 1896. In 1897 Akashi-gun offered the park as the site for an imperial villa. The park came under the administration of the Imperial Household Department the following year and was closed to the public. Ten years passed and no villa was built. The government of Hyogo prefecture, Akashi-gun, and Akashi-cho (town) each requested that the site be made a park once again to open up the Akashi Castle site to local residents. At the end of 1917 Hyogo prefecture applied to the central government to lease the site, and approval was received the following year. A budget was approved, improvements were made, and a magnificent opening ceremony was held.</p>

Journal

References(15)*help

See more

Related Projects

See more

Details 詳細情報について

Report a problem

Back to top